The present school was inaugurated in 1956 by the Hon. Minister of Education, Dr Antonio Paris. It is situated in a prime area, on ‘Tal-Għażżenin’ Point, very adjacent to the sea. It enjoys superb views of St Paul’s Islands, Mistra Bay and Xemxija on the north west and St Paul’s Bay inlets and Bugibba/Qawra Promontory on the south east. It was designated to serve as a summer camp for those children who lacked the possibility to enjoy the sea in the summer holidays. Many adults in Malta can thus cherish electrifying experiences at St Paul’s Bay Primary’s Summer Camp.
As time passed the various episodes in the history of the school reflected the changing times of education in Malta. The school infact served simultaneously as boys’ and girls’ primary schools. With the introduction of secondary education for all, a wing at this school also served as a boys’ secondary school. Before the official opening of Wardija school, children with special needs were also housed in this building. Being built to serve the educational needs of the children of a small fishing settlement and its satellite hamlets, there was ample space for this versatility.
Today, the school is reflecting a changing Malta. It is now catering for the ever-sprawling settlements of St Paul’s Bay and Buġibba. Moreover, what was once a summer seaside resort has now changed into a popular residential area attracting people from other places all over the island. With the influx of migrants settling in Malta, St Paul’s Bay Primary has additionally attracted a marked proportion of students of a migrant origin. In 2020 a new school has opened in Qawra catering for students whose address pertain to that area, thus alleviating the overcrowding at our school.